Bulb prices

I've been browsing ebay a bit, (the auction on my sister's birthday gift
closes tomorow and I want to be ready to sneak in at the last minute
with the winning bid!)and decided to see what bulbs were available. I
saw something that really floored me. Oxalis adenophylla, a darling
little hardy Oxalis that I've grown in the past and bought to sell at
our recent MG bulb sale was being offered. This person was offering ONE
bulb for $4.50 and 5 people had bid it up already to $8.01 with the
possibility of going higher. Van Engelen sells these bulbs for 50 bulbs
for $7.69. Maybe they are a bit smaller than the one being auctioned,
but VE's are topsize, meaning flowering size. Don't these people
research anything before bidding?