Re: History Major

> We
> just don't value the study of the human condition.

David,
It's not just that.  We seem to say that to spend that much time and money
on college you have to be able to make a living at it.  Makes sense,
especially if you're not rich.  But what also seems to be coming through
loud and clear is that anything that doesn't make money is frivolous.
Studies of history, music, literature, etc, are losing ground against the
almighty $.  And that's just in education.  The beauty of our national parks
are under assault because someone thinks they can make a buck off it.  Water
rights are being snatched up in West Texas in shady deals by Texans that
could leave that drought stricken state in dismal straits because of greed.
It goes on and on.

This greed attacks everyone in some form.  Some steadfast Wyoming
Republicans now say they won't vote republican because the current
administration has encroached on their land.  They didn't care when it
happened anywhere else in this country, but they do now.  We have to care
about the big picture.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand, we have to encourage interests in
the human condition in younger generations.  We need to fund these areas.
We need to get government to understand why this is necessary.  We all need
to know that, while $ is very important, it is not everything.

Sorry for such a downer message on Cmas Eve.  But it could be uplifting if
it provokes some thought and action.  No type of education is ever a waste.
I spent 6 years of my life and lots of tuition getting a business degree
which has yielded me the $ I need to survive.  But the 4 yrs and tuition I
spent with Guelph getting my ODH, which hasn't put a nickel in my pocket has
been the more valuable to me.  I have shared much more of what I learned
from my ODH with more people, than I ever have with my BS.  Not everything
is measured in $.

Kitty