Re: Story for the birds

And then there are the hummingbirds that fly into the garage and cannot figure out that you cannot fly straight up and escape. I have rescued any number by gently herding them out with a long handled pond skimmer. Now I've gotten smarter and keep the door closed during hummingbird season!
On Wednesday, December 24, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Poor baby. Good for Timothy. Every now and then we have a bird that gonks itself on our large back windows and I run out there to save them before the cats get it. They stay dazed anywhere from 10-30 minutes...I guess depending on how hard they hit it. We saved one from the horse trough too....I guess it leaned over to drink...and fell in. No telling how long it had been in there. After warming it up and drying it...I sat it on my platform feeder and watched it while I was in my garden. About an hour later he gathered enough energy to fly off. Made me happy.

From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
To: Chat <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: [CHAT] Story for the birds
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:03:40 -0500

We had a bird thing at work today. A white-eyed vireo--beautiful little bird that over-winters in our neighborhood--crashed into one of our glass front doors.

First we knew of it was when one of our CAD operators, on her way to physical therapy for multiple fractures of leg bones [there's a moral here--don't ride horses unless you're a professional jockey and only then if heavily insured], spied it sitting on the front patio in a decidedly dazed condition.

She called her cellmate on her cell phone, he's a sensitive young gentleman named Timothy, who went out and sat beside the dazed and dumbfounded bird [while feverishly trying to identify it in his Audubon Field Guide] until the bird came to its senses and flew away, about 30 minutes after the the initial trauma as near as any of us could tell.

We did not dock Timothy's pay for goofing off, despite my recommendation that we should.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10

Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory offer. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup