Re: Speaking of presents

In a message dated 12/25/2003 9:03:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> It is called a Hyacinthus (Hyacinth on water). Same principle as the
> last year vase plant with the beta fish in it. Of course this doesn't
> have the fish, but a small vase and a hyacinth bulb. You are supposed to
> fill the vase with water up to but not touching the bulb, leave in dark
> 40-50 degree place, and in 8-10 weeks bring indoors to bloom. Hum....
> anyone ever grown one without soil and just let the roots be in water?

Donna, it works just fine.  Follow the directions - put the vases under the
sink or in some such cool place until the roots begin to form and the bulb
shows shoots - then bring into a sunny window.  They smell splendiferous when they
bloom.  I have given these to my youngest son for years - started when he was
in college.  He is not much of a "grower" and his wife is even less of one,
but these work for them.  The ones I send to them come in sets of three in
pretty colored vases.  They start them a week or ten days apart to stretch the
season.  Enjoy!  Auralie