Re: Happy Holidays to All/now old country lanquages

Fels Naptha, I think

On Saturday, December 27, 2003, at 03:17 PM, Daryl wrote:

That's interesting. There was no dearth of people who were well-educated in
my Mom's family, but they had problems with postal delivery. If I recall,
one of the last letters we got from the cousins said, in effect, please
don't send any more letters or packages, because they use them against us.
We had been in the habit of sending clothes and food, and apparently, among
other things, the packages were pilfered, and then the recipients still had
to pay taxes on the whole thing. Sad.

Re getting your mouth washed out with soap - that's a memory, all right. I
can't stand the smell of Ivory to this day, nor of the old yellow laundry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Roman" <djroman@worldnet.att.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Holidays to All/now old country lanquages

We lost track of our relatives in the early 50's too. I know they were
having trouble finding letter writers and sometimes it took close to a
for a response. My mom used to complain that some of the writers were
able to put words
on paper. She had to read the letter multiple times and guess at parts of
to get any meaning.

I still remember the time at the Christmas dinner table that I proudly
a new Polish word that I had learned. It caused quite a commotion and
threats of getting my mouth washed out with soap if I used that word
It was also bad timing on my part since we had about 20 relatives at the
dinner. I think I was in my 20's before my parents were able to laugh
the incident. Funny things one remembers about the holidays.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10