Re: Holiday Food

In a message dated 12/28/2003 7:56:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pulis@mindspring.com writes:

> I also cook the black-eyed peas with a meaty
> ham bone and some chopped onion, so it's not just plain old peas. I wonder
> if I should throw a hot pepper or two in there. He likes chili.

My grandfather always dowsed his with peppersauce.  In fact he put
peppersauce on just about everything, especially turnip or collard greens.  Tabasco is a
good ready-made peppersauce, but he made his own by pouring hot cider vinegar
over a bottle full of small hot peppers and letting it sit for a week or so.
My grandfather was the editor-publisher of the local newspaper, and people
brought him all sorts of unusual things hoping to be mentioned in the paper.
Once a lady brought him a beautiful bottle full of peppersauce - made with tiny
red, yellow and green peppers arrranged in a pattern - really a work of art.
My grandmother dumped it all out.  I was too young to realize the
implications, but I now know she was consumed with jealousy.  Oh well.