Re: Gardening Quizzes

In a message dated 12/28/2003 11:31:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> AuralieI had to look that one up:
> Gurdjieff's basic teaching is that human life is lived in waking sleep;
> transcendence of the sleeping state requires a specific inner work, which is
> practiced in private quiet conditions, and in the midst of life with others.
> This leads to otherwise inaccessible levels of vitality and awareness.

I mentioned this because of your reference to enneagrams.  They are prominent
in his teachings.  I don't pretend to comprehend all his mysticism - don't
need it.  I just was struck by the oddity of his behavior and teaching methods.
Apparently he would push his followers to their physical and mental limits in
bizarre ways to get them to reach a new level of what he called
"self-remembering."  I guess it accomplished whatever his followers needed, or they would
not have subjected themselves to such treatment.  As I said earlier - there are
lots of strange people out there.