Re: Holiday Food/now peppers

Not Jim, but if you just want to preserve the peppers, I have had good success with freezing jalapenos. I just pick them, slice off the stems, pop them into freezer bags and into the freezer. If a recipe calls for chopped or sliced chiles, I just grab a couple out of the bag and chop them up still frozen.
Cathy
On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 10:51 PM, Theresa wrote:

Hi Jim-
Tell me more about your Pepper canning- details please. I still have
habaneros, and thai devils in the garden and would love to preserve them
somehow. My husband loves "Blazing Saddles" habanero pepper sauce on almost
everything. I'd love to make my own pepper sauce, but seems I never have
time until winter comes. You may have the perfect solution to my dilema.

Theresa

P.S. I have a yellow bell pepper that is 2 years old- although it took a
long time to come back this summer.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 1:54 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Holiday Food

On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Zemuly@aol.com wrote:

Auralie, I want to come to your house.  You have the best recipes.  As
your comment about pepper sauce in the South, I totally agree.  My
mother made
batches of it every summer.  I still put it on everything, but I am
more apt to
buy Tabasco than to make it.
zem
Me, too. Except I prefer Crystal to Tabacso on my cottage and farmer's
cheeses. Not as much heat but a more intense pepper flavor for cool
foods. Oysters, scallops, shrimp, and such need Tabasco. Especially
oysters--steamed or raw. Gotta have ghee, horseradish, and Tabasco. Did
I mention I took my vacation in Apalachicola last year just to eat
oysters? Sacre bleu!

Reminds me. Some time ago I canned a half pint of various hot
peppers--among them bird peppers, habaneros, and Thai devils--in
vinegar. I just looked at the jar [I knew this list was good for
something] and it has a wonderful reddish cast. Maybe it's time to put
the contents in the blender and turn it into a slurry.

Incidentally, my bird pepper plant is now about 6 year old and my Thai
devil plant is about 8 years old. Has to do with what's an annual and
what's a perennial where you live. Right?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10