Re: Holiday Food, now Apalach

I guess the last time I was in Appalach was about 1950.  My grandmother used
to drive through there when she was visiting friends in Panama City and point
out the houses her father had built in the 1890s.  She used to tell about the
time that the person who developed ice-making (I can't recall the name, but
you probably know it) made a demonstration there to some businessmen - trying to
get financing.  My grandfather thought it was a bit far-fetched and didn't
invest.  Story of our family's history.  My grandfather once owned a large
stretch of beach-front property just west of Panama City, but let it go for taxes
in the Depression.  A neighbor, doctor's widow with money, bought it and
developed it - sold it for $100. a front foot in the late 30s.  Hate to think what
it would bring now.
It's interesting to hear that things in that part of the state haven't been
totally paved over or "Disneyfied" by now.