From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 8:30 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Holiday Food

The Kraut always seems to come through...I love it too (German, Dutch, and
Irish), especially on a Reuben...don't like many sandwiches but love that
one (also a BLT ---  fresh tomatoes a must).  Tried to make it once or
twice.  First time, used an old crock that might have been used for sour
mash because the kraut spoiled.  (I have some interesting stories about my
gradual culinary education.)

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

LOVE
> sauerkraut.   And on my father's side...Scotch....so I love cooked
cabbage
> too....and coleslaw.  I just pretty much love cabbage.  I cook it all the
> time...kids love it too...except for Robert's youngest, who is a very
picky
> eater.  She doesn't even drink milk.....now that's just WRONG.  I can't
> imagine life without THAT!!!  So I buy her the orange juice with vitamin
> and D in it.
>
> Jesse Rene' Bell
> Claremore, OK
> Zone 6
>

> >From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
> >To: gardenchat@hort.net
> >Subject: Re: [CHAT] Holiday Food
> >Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:11:36 -0500
> >
> >They ferment it in brine [kosher or rock salt and it's own juice]. Did
you
> >know that you can buy the "juice" in little bottles [one assumes] for
> >breakfast? Personally, I like sauerkraut, but none of my wives have
[maybe
> >that's why the marriages sauered?]. And it is high in vitamin C.
> >

> >On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 10:01 PM, Kitty wrote:
> >
> >>I like cabbage in soup where it's more dilute as opposed to cabbage the
> >>way
> >>it is served w/corned beef.  But whatever it is they do to make it into
> >>sauerkraut is just, well, distasteful.  I suppose there's a Rosen's in
> >>Indy,
> >>but I'm not that desperate for good rye to go that far.
> >>
> >>Wonderful that Bill brought you the bouquet, very thoughtful.
> >>
> >>Kitty

Christmas