Re: Holiday Food NOW milk

USDA says cheese making originated in the Middle East. Travelers toting milk in skins made from the stomachs of camels. Residual rennet in the stomach curdled the milk.

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 12:38 PM, cathy carpenter wrote:

Quite frankly, I don't know, and I don't know if any studies have been done. Your theory makes a lot of sense, though. Milk (of any sort) is food for babies of whatever species, so after weaning, most have no exposure to it. It may be that only in Northern Europe did peoples exploit unmodified milk as a food source beyond infancy.
Cathy
On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 12:44 AM, Melody wrote:

Cathy: Why do you suppose this milk intolerance exists in these other
populations? Is it because once they are weaned from mother's milk,
there isn't a steady supply of it...so they rapidly lose whatever
tolerance they have to lactose?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

--- On Tue 12/30, cathy carpenter < cathyc@rnet.com > wrote:
From: cathy carpenter [mailto: cathyc@rnet.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:03:24 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Holiday Food

Most folks of northern European heritage can drink milk throughout
milk <br>sugar, lactose. The result? Very uncomfortable cramping and
Jesse Bell wrote:<br><br>> Hmmm, must be the "Kraut" in me......my
mother is German....but I just <br>> LOVE sauerkraut. And on my father's
side...Scotch....so I love <br>> cooked cabbage too....and coleslaw. I
just pretty much love cabbage. <br>> I cook it all the time...kids love
it too...except for Robert's <br>> youngest, who is a very picky eater.
She doesn't even drink <br>> milk.....now that's just WRONG. I can't
imagine life without THAT!!! <br>> So I buy her the orange juice with
OK<br>> Zone

http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

http://www.hort.net/funds/