Re: Bittersweet

In a message dated 12/05/2004 6:08:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hodgesaa@earthlink.net writes:
Auralie, is this that vine with those really pretty turquoise colored
berries? It's not a problem here, in fact I don't think I've ever seen it
here.

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/celaorbi.html
No, Andrea, this vine has bright orange berries and is very tough and woody.
I know the one you're talking about - can't think of its botanical name
right now, but I have had it.  It is a pest but not anywhere near as
tough and invasive as this Oriental bittersweet.
The native bittersweet, Celastrus scandens, is on the protected plant list
in New York because it has been overcollected until it is nearly gone from
the area.  They used to collect it for fall decorations and Christmas wreaths.
I would be glad to have them collect the invasive one.  It just swarms up
trees
and chokes them or breaks them down from the weight of its leaves.
Admittedly the berries are pretty, but the damage it does is not.  Be glad
you
don't have it, and don't be tempted to plant it.  I have seen it for sale in
some
nursery catalogs - but this is one alien invasive I would be glad to outlaw.
Auralie