Re: Snow

Bats!
Cathy
On Monday, December 6, 2004, at 07:51 PM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

I don't know - we had our first hard freeze last week and still have mosquitoes. Doesn't anything kill these monsters?

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrea H
Sent: 12/6/2004 5:53:01 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Snow

How annoying, it's supposed to be 80 degrees here tomorrow. I'm ready for
cold truthfully. It will get rid of the gnats for a while.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

----- Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 3:51 PM Subject: [CHAT] Snow

We are having our first good snowfall today (there was a dusting a couple
of
weeks
ago that didn't really count). Today was the day my garden club decorated
the
house at Lasdon Park & Arboretum where we meet. The house, which is not
really
open to the public, is part of the Westchester Parks Department, but is
mainly
used for offices and meeting facilities. It was a wealthy man's summer
home,
built
in the 1930s in the style of George Washington's Mt. Vernon. Every year
we
decorate the main rooms before the annual "Friends of..." dinner and other
park
functions. This year the tree in the main entrance hall is decorated with
nearly
200 shiny metallic-paper origami birds made by one of our members. In
addition
we have filled the spaces between branches with bits of white dried baby's
breath
which gives it a very delicate, airy appearance. That, with the lights
and a
few
crystalline snowflake ornaments, is all, but we think it really looks
lovely.
We
used origami birds in some of the other decorations throughout the rooms -
the
two fireplace mantles, roping on the stairway, wreaths on doors, etc. The
snow
had begun to fall before we finished, and it really made a
picture-post-card
scene.
We hurried through lunch (always bring a covered-dish lunch) and business
meeting so members could get home before the snow got bad, but I don't
think
it is really going to amount to much. Temperatures are in the high 20s,
so
I'm expecting this to be gone tomorrow. I have been wrong before, but
hey,
it's
really that time of year.
Auralie