Re: Bittersweet now hort ed

Sounds like a first-rate educational system, Melody.  So much depends
on community values these days.

In a message dated 12/07/2004 2:11:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mhobertm@excite.com writes:
Almost all of the elementary schools here in my area maintain large
gardens (many helped along by MG's and other garden associations) that
the kids are actively involved with. My kids' science programs every
year since kindergarten have included units on plants, including one
section with these special plants from Minnesota that are rapid growing
hybrids for classroom use, so that kids can grow an entire plant from
seed to maturity in under 2 weeks. The kids have to keep detailed daily
observation logs. They also do units on what kind of soils will best
support plant life and have to design an experiment using some material
in place of soil. All of this at the elementary age level. By junior
high the science is getting more and more complicated. Our school
district has quite a standard of excellence in education...I about
flipped out when my oldest was in first grade and brought home the math
curricula for 1st grade which included beginning geometry. By third
grade the kids are doing beginning algebra. Routinely at our school
first graders have daily homework assignments. I think that in places
that really dedicate the resources to education and demand a high level
of involvement and accountability from it's parents, school is so much
better than when I was a kid.