Re: OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

Today's "Ask Amy" column (Landers replacement) discussed gifts to
servicepeople. Top requests include photos, newsy personal letters, ,
prepaid calling cards, books, DVDs, music, toiletries (including baby
wipes), gum and hard candy. My nephew also likes to get high protein
material like foil packaged tuna.

She went on to quote a statement from the Army re mail/gifts/packages
addressed to "Any Servicemember". "...unsolicited support and care
packages raise a force protection issue....the DOD has cancelled mail
programs which encouraged the American public to mail any service member
(versus a specific deployed person)....donor programs which collect and
pass out service members' names and addresses is discouraged."

(this does not include personal exchanges like someone on this list
sending a pkg to a family member of someone else on the list. I just
wouldn't post my nephew's name on a list somewhere where the wrong sort
of person might lift it and use it in a not so nice way. We do have to
be careful)

She then suggest supporting the troups via the USO. You can donate $25
to the USO who will in turn give a $50-75 care package of donated goods
to a serviceperson, which includes an intl calling card, disposable
camera, toiletries, books, DVDs, and other goods depending on what has
been donated. You can include a personal message of support which will
be included in the package.

to donate, contact:
www.usocares.org
1-877-876-4483
USO Care Pkg, PO Box 8069, Topeka, KS  66608

She then goes on to mention contributions to Fisher House Foundation
which funds housing and transportation for families here visiting
wounded family members during convalescence.

see:  www.fisherhouse.org

Feel free to pass this information to others off list who might like to know what they can do.

Kitty

> Melody,
> Thank you so much! I know it takes a lot of time to do these projects but
> what a wonderful thing to do. I can't imagine some boys(men) over in Iraq
> that don't get anything from anyone!
> If anyone else wants to send anything to Russ (Scott Russell Shinn) I will
> add his address at the bottom of this page. He can give out anything to the
> other soldiers if you will just address it to him otherwise for security
> reasons they are not getting things that don't have a specific soldiers
> name on it.
> Thank you again Melody!
> Tricia
> this is from my nephew's wife, Tonya.
> Russ and I were able to talk for several minutes this afternoon. He phoned
> on the satellite phone and the connection was terrible :( He sounded so
> good, but very tired. They have, as you can imagine, been working hard and
> have not spent much time back at the base. Once in a while someone goes
> back to check for mail and cards/letters are very appreciated. I can't tell
> you how wonderful it was to hear from him.
>
> Thank you for continuing to keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
>
> Love,
> Tonya
>
> Sgt. Shinn, Scott R
>
> RCT-1 HQ Co
>
> Scout Platoon
>
> Unit# 40145
>
> FPO AP 96426-0145

That was so moving... thanks for sharing.
If any of you
> > want to send cards for the holidays my nephew said they have
about 29
> > soldiers in his platoon that would love to receive a card for
> > the
holidays. He offered to distribute them to the guys that don't