Re: Raccoons

Not Pam, but FWIW, having raccoons + cats, have observed that most
cats ignore them - they realize (or should) that they are no match
for a raccoon...who, despite being one of the more charming members
of the local wildlife crew, are quite formidable when accosted.  Even
large dogs can come out of an encounter with a raccoon with
considerable damage.

Have found (at least with my cats) that cats generally ignore
anything larger than they are - except for watching it closely or
leaving the area - but will go after anything that moves and is
smaller or looks like it might be edible (hunters only....non-hunters
will go after small moving critters if they feel like playing).

Highly territorial cats who are a brick shy of a load will go after
critters too large for them to handle, and those cats can get into
big trouble.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade