Re: Stromanthe... now taxonomists

Well, it keeps them employed, I guess. Guess I'd be more upset if I sold plant labels. Recently heard an interesting tale on another list about two genuses of tropical fruit--Garcinia and Rheedia, Garcinia was the Old World genus and Rheedia the New World genus that were very similar, and after squabbling for many years, the taxonomists have agreed [for now, at least] that they are the same genus. I have a Garcinia laterafolia growing in my front patio; doubt if it cares much what I call it as long as I feed and water it.

On Sunday, December 12, 2004, at 11:29 AM, Kitty wrote:

Funny you should mention that Donna. Asters are the latest thing on the hit
list - most have been transferred to Eurybia or Symphyotrichum. New England
Aster (such as 'Alma Potschke') is now Symphyotrichum novae-angliae; the
White Wood Aster, pka Aster divaricatus, is now Eurybia divaricata.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Stromanthe sanguinea "Tricolor"

Can't say I know a darn thing about your plant.. but it sure is pretty! :)

I also would like to comment on plant names. It absolutely drives me
that they keep changing them. I understand that now a days the DNA proves
no longer belongs in that family or other reasons. But I really feel that
the once 'proper' botanical or latin name are getting just as bad as
names. Everyone is calling the same plant by another name as the
learns its new 'proper' name. Sorry Kitty, but I just don't have the time
keep up on every name change like you do, and I appreciate the fact that
do and keep us informed.

So the underlining thought process here... are they messing with us, like
OH.. (as you look at the entry in a catalog).. this must be some new
offering and I should buy it.... marketing... hum...