"organic" vegetables?

To me, the term "organic" as applied to produce is pretty silly - anything
that grows in organic, however, I usually choose organically grown
produce at the grocery store if it looks reasonably good and isn't too
much more expensive than the non-organic.
I bought a nice-looking bunch of "organic" broccoli the other day, and
started to use some of it raw in a salad.  As I began to cut the florets
apart, I discovered that it was just riddled with black aphids.  Of course
this confirmed that it had been grown without pesticides, but hey, I
don't like black aphids in my salad.  I know I could have carefully
cleaned it in salt water, as I do with what I grow in my own garden, but I
was in a hurry, so tossed the whole bunch out.  I would like to support
the "organic" movement.  I really believe in it, and don't use any
chemicals in my own garden, but I found this really off-putting. I
don't really know the answer.