Re: Was Yucky veggies... now smoking

Yeah, Melody, me too at 14.

Dixie Samples, who was a half-year ahead of me in school, and who was a real carnivore, bought them for me. Lucky Strikes, 25 cents--an amount equal to one day's lunch money--for a pack of 20. "Lucky Strike green 'had gone to war'" a few years earlier, so this was the white package that doesn't appear to have changed much since then.

When I got home from school on the day Dixie delivered, I went around the corner and sat on the curb of a street that ran parallel to the one I lived on. I took the pack out of my pocket, nervously ripped the cellophane from it, tore the tin-foiled paper open, and froze. Probably guilt.

Remember the proper way to tear a pack of cigs open? There was a tax stamp across the proximate middle of the top. And the cool thing to do was take care to leave the tax stamp pristine while ripping out the tin-foil paper on either side of it [but, God forfend, not both], then thunking the pack on your hand until butt popped out.

My father smoked like a stove--two, three packs a day for 70 years. My mother did not smoke; she thought it was a male thing and women who smoked were loose or worse. My mother had peculiar opinions about a lot of things--including how one should cook vegetables.

Sitting on the curb, I finally took a deep breath and knocked a butt out of the pack. Remember that move? You hit the top of the pack against the side of your hand between your thumb and index finger. The force of the hit knocked at least one cig free and accessible.

All my peers and, indeed, conventional wisdom, said my first cigarette would make me nauseous. So it was with some trepidation that I put one in my mouth, struck a match, placed the flame at the end of the weed, and sucked.

And then inhaled. It did not make me nauseous. Rather, It made me feel good. The male rite of passage [probably] kicked in.

It would take nearly 30 years for me to quit the first time.