To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now yucky veggies! for cats!

OK- I have an interesting addition to this thread... Tonight I made
steamed edamame (soybeans in the shell) and my crazy siamese cat seemed
rather interested in it.  So I pushed one over to him on the coffee
table and he grabbed it and ran away.  He knawed on it for a few
minutes, then ATE the whole this shell and all!  I couldn't believe it.
This is the carnivor cat who will steal raw chicken if you are looking
and I have caught licking raw scallops when I turned my back.  He came
back for more and wanted to take the soybeans right off my plate
tonight!  I shelled a couple and gave to him.  I figure if they are so
good for people, it could hurt the cat.  Lots of fiber and
phytochemicals, good for the heart and cholesteral.

Who knew a cat would eat soybeans???

Theresa

kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

I'm glad to hear that someone else does eat vegetables. I was
beginning to feel peculiar about it.

No, I realize I'M the peculiar one. I think a lot has to do with the way you are raised and the life you lead. I grew up with a choice of canned peas, corn, green beans, and spinach. Those were the only veggies I knew. Carrots, onion, and celery were only parts of stew; I didn't really think of them as vegetables. As an adult I came to enjoy a few others like broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce. However, later in life I drifted away from them because they're expensive and I was throwing too much away since I only have myself to prepare for. I don't really cook anymore, it's a chore and just doesn't seem worthwhile for just me.

Note: I don't advocate this as a good lifestyle; I think we should all eat and enjoy our veggies. My diet is my lazy, bad habit, as smoking seems to be that of some of the others on the list. I'm hoping to make some adjustments to my diet after the New Year. That could be my way of joining those of you on your Great American Smoke-Out.

Kitty

I was going to suggest fried okra, too. Nothing better. If you roll
it in seasoned corn-meal and drop it on a very hot skillet that is
just lightly coated with olive oil, it doesn't even come out bad for
you.
Your brussels sprouts sound yummy, Zem. I have just about given
up heavy cream for health reasons, but it a bit of it really does make
many things come out better.
What I do most often these days - at least when the weather is
reasonably cool - is roasted vegetables. If it's just for us, I mix them
all together, but for a party I keep each kind separate and place
them around a very large Nambe platter, which makes an attractive
presentation. I start with a bit of olive oil and kosher salt in a very
hot oven. While the pan heats I cut up the first round - onions and
carrots. Then as I cut each different vegetable into thin slices,
I add them to the mix - or use two pans if I'm keeping them separate.
The combination varies with what is in the refrigerator, but usually
five or six kinds. I try for a mix with different colors and textures.
Red bell peppers, green squash, pod peas, mushrooms, turnips,
sweet potatoes are all good but I frequently try something new.
I usually add a few drops of sesame oil and a sprinkle of dried
herbs - tarragon or parsley is good. But of course canned or
frozen vegetables would not work - the texture would be all
wrong. This may sound like a lot of work, but it's not. If the oven
is very hot it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.
I'm glad to hear that someone else does eat vegetables. I was
beginning to feel peculiar about it.
Auralie

In a message dated 12/15/2004 11:05:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,