Re: Was Yucky veggies... now smoking

Richard,

Well said!

I smoked for several decades, too, and have been off the weed for a bit more
than 10 years. You're correct in needing a strong desire to quit, and of all
of the excuses a mind (the disease?) will find to keep smoking, or to return
to it. One of the most insidious is thinking "one won't hurt" after you've
been tobacco-free for days or months or years. It will. The power of the
addiction is that great. (Note for those of you that loved your first
cigarette, this is probably even more true for you.)

I'm glad that you mentioned dreaming about smoking - few people mention it.
I sometimes wake up berating myself for falling off the wagon, as you do.
Just as often, I'll hop in the car, or pick up the phone, and reach for the
pack that's not there.

For those of you who are thinking about quitting, please know that it's not
easy, despite the ads about the patch and all, though your mileage may vary.
While my final, successful attempt was helped with the patch, the first time
I tried it I was very, very disappointed (outraged!) that it was still so
hard. It was supposed to be a breeze, they said.

And for those of you that have tried and fallen, don't be afraid to try
again. I think that for some people, like me, quitting takes practice, just
as it takes practice to learn to ride a bike or to prune the roses. Every
bit of your life has something to do with smoking, and making new habits
takes time. It took me several attempts over many years. I hope it's easier
for you.

If any of you need encouragement, or some tips, just holler. I'll try to
help.

Daryl