Re: Re: Holiday Shopping/ Rex Begonia

Hello Kitty,
If I get enough of them propagated some may end up in the garden with the other shade plants. However, I have never used annuals or tender perennials in my shade garden in the past. May give it a try.
Have to be careful, though. One more area of interest to wander off into loosing focus on what my nursery is supposed to be about. I have already done that with the coming year as I will be carrying shrubs, trees and vines in pick up only sizes.
The wind is howling, snow is blowing around. Downright cold out there.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Gene,
Those Rex Begonias have been one of the hot items at local greenhouses the
past 2 yrs. They are cheap enough to use them as a fancy annual so I
planted some in the ground with the shade plants like hosta. They grow rathe
quickly, add a lot of color and texture, they propagate easily. You could
have enough to sell from your little starts before you know it.
I also put my Silver Squill (Ledebouria) in the ground during summer than
pot them back up for the house in winter. Right now they are toatally
covered with yet-to-open flower scapes.

Kitty