Re: Recipe, urgently needed

Use wide-mouth pint jars; they have no shoulders. Be sure to butter them. Fill them 2/3 to 3/4 full of batter, bake them the required time. When you take them out of the oven [hot, hot] place a disc of wax paper between the bread and the lid, screw the lid down tight. It will seal as the bread cools. Keeps a long time; easy to knock out of the jar.

On Tuesday, December 21, 2004, at 09:36 AM, Kitty wrote:

How do you get the bread out of the jar??
Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: "Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 5:46 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Recipe, urgently needed

I used to have a generic recipe for batter breads that one baked in
canning jars and then sealed just as they came out of the oven. It was
a terrific one-size-fits-all recipe. Basic soda/baking powder bread to
which all manner of fruits, nuts, veggies, herbs could be added. I
recall making jalapeno-cheddar cheese bread, prune bread, tomato bread,
raisin-walnut bread, and date bread. Anyone have any idea where I might
find the recipe or similar? Or should I just wing it?

I'll find a use for all those lemons yet.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a