Re: weather

I realize that was quite a fiasco and not much fun, but it could have
been worse. Years ago when I worked in a grocery store, we lost power a
few times, and it did not come back on for quite some time. We had to
lock the doors so no new customers came in and then start writing down
and adding up each customer's order. It took a long time to process
people. A few employees collected frozen items that customers decided
they didn't want because of the long wait. But we all got through it.

A&P might be big, but with so many stores, and for the few times this
could occur, it isn't worth the cost of having their own generators like
a hospital would. I don't know whether it would be feasible to have
backups on the computerized cash registers as you suggested. They aren't
independent units.