From: kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: 12/24/2004 1:08:54 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Christmas Eve

I awoke at 3:30 to one of my cats wretching and throwing up. I cleaned
it up and then noticed water on the laundry room floor. The toilet had
sprung a leak. So I laid towels to soak it up, and moved the litterbox
and found lots of litter kicked out behind it soaked through and turned
to mud. So the box went to the garage while I set about plugging the
dike. The culprit appeared to be a cracked nut that when pressed,
stopped leaking. A ruler braced against it did the trick. Back to bed.

I was up at 7. The ruler was still holding. Had a shower, coffee,
breakfast, and then set about trying to repair it. the shut off valve
will not budge. shut off the main water. the main won't shut all the way
off such that, since this valve is the lowest point and closest to the
main, water kept leaking even though all other spouts were open. Over
time I dumped several buckets of water in the other toilet. Went to
hardware store. I described the situation but the woman in the plumbing
section just couldn't figure it out. Went home and took a picture and
brought it back. Now she understands but, after consulting with the
plumbing guy at the other store, their suggestion was to call the city
and have my water shut off. Yeah right.

She had some sort of epoxy putty that would seal the opening if it would
stop leaking while I applied it. I gave it a shot and, though it did
still leak, it slowed considerably; enough so that I could clean up the
soggy, muddy mess of towels, toilet and floor so I could call a plumber
she suggested. (the plumber who worked on this toilet 2 yrs ago would
not come). I called him and he said he'd be there in 15 minutes!

He worked on it for over an hour, during which it still leaked and he
left for parts twice. He finally concluded that the leak was in the
mechanism that goes inside the tank. This one is of a particular brand
that will not accomodate parts of any other brand. The whole thing needs
replaced. I asked him to just cap off the line, I didn't need the
toilet. When he did, the valve broke. He replaced it and capped it off.
He said this was the first time in 18 yrs he ever got wet on a plumbing

On Cmas Eve he charged me only $68 for coming on short notice and going
through all that. I gave him an extra $20 (cash) for being so wonderful.
I'm also going to send him a gift certificate, cuz $88 is just not
enough for coming to my rescue.

I got to work just before 1pm and we close at 2pm - oops, that is now.
But now I can go home to a dry house and deal with that huge load of wet
towels, bake some potato bread, whip up some fudge, wash my hair....

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus; except on Christmas EVE he goes by the name of Owen Stiles.