Seasons Greetings

This year, we bought one of those amaryllis bulbs in a pot in a box at HD and set it to growing in the sun room. Over the course of 2 or 3 weeks, it has produced some leaves and two bloom spikes--one spike is 24 inches tall and the other is about 18 inches tall. I staked them because I was afraid they would flop over. Yesterday, the tip of the taller spike opened and four pink flower buds have popped out. It looks like one of them may open fully today.

Never seen a stem on one that tall before. After it blooms, I think we'll find some place to plant it in the ground. There are several houses in this area that have beds of them [usually red ones] planted as a sort of understory to tropical foliage plants. Quite attractive at this time of year.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a