Re: Lane Cake and another recipe request

Thanks, Cathy. That must be the way it was.  I  remember a tall cake
with very thin layers and much filling.  Ladies in my town were very
proud of their Lane Cakes, and of course the fillings were the special
part. As it was a "dry" town, some of the fillings were made with
fruit juice instead of Bourbon as flavoring.  My grandmother was, of
course, a teetotaler, but would call the sheriff, who was a good friend,
and say "Harry, do you have any of that good stuff you can let me
have for cough medicine?."  And Harry would say "Well, Miss Grace,
we brought in some last week.  I'll send you some over."  The "good
stuff" was always good Bourbon, but she really always used it for
cough medicine, and would give it to me for "cramps" as a teenager.
Thanks for your input.

In a message dated 12/26/2004 6:49:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,