I'm including all the info given in 'The Progressive Farmer's Southern
Cookbook featuring Southern Food Ways.'

Lane Cake
This cake, which was going great guns in Goergia dn Alabama early in the
century, has not breezed across the whole South.  It seems certain that the
origin of the cake can be credited to Mrs. Emma Rylander Lane of Clayton,
Alabama.  Mrs. Lane gives a footnote in her (1898) "Some Good Things to Eat,"
"My prize cake is named not from my own conceit, but through the courtesy of
Mrs. Janie McDowell Pruitt, Eufala, Alabama."  Recipes vary in the use of
fruit juices, wines, flavorings, spices.  Most fillings include seeded
raisins.  Mrs. Lane also used lemon and orange fillings with the cake.

8 egg whites
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3-1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Beat egg whites until they hold a peak, but are not dry. Set aside, then cream
butter and sugar well.  Sift flour and baking powder together and add to
creamed mixture alternately with milk.  Fold in beaten egg whites and vanilla.
Bake in four layers at 350 degrees F. until brown.

1 cup nuts
1 cup coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup sweet white wine

Grind nuts, coconut, and raisins.  Put these in a saucepan with the butter,
sugar, and egg yolks.  Cook 15 or 20 minutes.  Stir in wine to thin filling.
Spread between layers, and use a white frosting for top and sides

* * *

As my chess pie recipe is a little different from Auralies, I'll also include

Chess Pie
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 cup sweet cream
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (I prefer vanilla extract or lemon juice as in
Auralie's recipe)

Lightly beat egg yolks until smooth.  Cream butter and sugar and add to the
beaten yolks.  Mix cornmeal into cream and add to egg mixture.  Then add
extract and mix until smooth.  Pour into unbaked pie shall and bake at 350
degrees F. until done. (about 50 minutes)