RE: One project accomplished

"Down" time, indeed.  Kitty, you are indefatigable!

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 4:42 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] One project accomplished

You Southerners wonder what we do for gardening fun up here in the fozen
north. I just finished researching, creating, and printing 4000 seed
packet labels for about 250 seed varieties for our MG sale at the H&G
show. The herb lady who comes up with half our seeds always comes up
with something out of left field. She actually grows plantain. That's
that noxious weed that creeps up in our lawns. Apparently you can make a
dye from it. Oh, yeah, lotsa people looking for weed seeds. I think she
deliberately throws in a few toughies to see if I'll find info on it. I
rely on books I have and Tom Clothier's site, but had trouble finding
planting depth,and germ temps and days for a few items like Fuller's
Teasel, Wild Mignonette, and Skirret. But it's all done now, printed,
sorted and ready for seed packaging day.

I also ordered Lilies, Begonias, Colocasia, Red Onions, and purple
Callas to sell. I just didn't feel like doing Dahlias again. I wanted to
get Caladiums, but the last 2 summers were so cool, I don't think they'd
be a good idea.

Now that that is out of the way I can start working on my Summer Bulbs
presentation for the H&G show. I'll rely on a powerpoint pres and a
bound handout to help me through it. But it will take some time putting
these items together.

After the MG banquet next month it's time to work on 2005 plans for the
MG nursery - though I have already ordered the plants. However, then I
have to start putting together orders for plants that are needed for the
other Display Gardens. In the nursery we have to start pulling together
who will do what and designing labels for all the new varieties.

I like the "down" time of winter for gardening. It gives you a chance to
catch your breath and make preparations for beginning a new year.