Re: Black Mondo Grass

Ceres,

I've grown O. 'Nigrescens' for several years...it is very slow to
make significant clumps and tends to spread out rather than actually
clump up.  It does well in my amended clay.  This is one plant that
will grow in standing water, actually.  Does not like to be dry.
Will seed around but not always seed true.  Would make a nice edging,
but you'd have to plant it on 4" or 6" centers for it to look like
much right away IMO, considering the size plants you generally get
mail order.

It is evergreen (everblack?) for me, but would probably defoliate for
you tho' it just might survive winter in a protected spot and mulched
with something that didn't mat down, which will rot it as it wants to
grow all winter.

I've been trying for Xanthosoma 'Lime Zinger' for a couple of years.
If you find a source, let me know, OK.  It's fairly common in
Florida, but not via mail order...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange

----------
> From: Cersgarden@aol.com
>
> Kitty & Sherri, thank you so much.  Asking for a certain plant is
like hiring
> detectives.  I do appreciate the help.  The words 'extremely slow
growing' is
> not what I want to hear.  In the description of the 'Nigrescens',
which is
> the one we want, World Plants states 'we have had reports from
coastal residents
> that it grows quite rapidly in sandy soils'  Our soil is far from
sandy but
> very futile.  I need about 12 plants.  The other problem is if we
plant before
> the fair, they would be stolen for sure which means we would need
to container
> grow & transplant the first of Aug or just bury the container which
is easier
> for quick removal the day after the fair.  The price is $5 for a
4".  Not bad
> however I have not chkd the shipping.  Has anyone on the list had
experience
> with this plant?
>     Other plants we plan to use are 3 kinds of Caladiums under some
trees, 3
> varieties of Acalypha, elephant ear Illustrius & Black Magic, dk
leafed canna
> without blooms behind 3 variegated Weigela, variegated ginger,
Jurasic Kale,
> Sanchezia, Pseuderantheman, Alternanthera, some coleus and would
really like to
> have Xanthosoma 'Lime Zinger'.   In an area where a weeping Norway
spruce, dk
> leafed Beech, & burgy barberry are we are covering the area with
Lysimachia