From: Kitty
Sent: 12/30/2004 7:08:32 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] survey

I guess I should have been more precise.

I was thinking of the example I mentioned:

>>You can't say a simple "Hey that was great fun! Thanks for inviting me.

See you soon!"<<

To elaborate:

I get together with about 6-8 women about every 6 weeks to chat at one of

our homes.  We've know each othe since grade or high school.  One woman, my

oldest friend, loves to hug anything she can grab hold of.  As I followed

her out at evening's end she threw her arms around the hostess and thanked

her for  a nice night. As her arms came back up she attempted to bring them

down on me for the next hug; I deftly caught it in mid air and guided it

away quietly.  But no, she whips it back up and comes down on me with both

arms, so I ducked out of harms way.  "I want a hug!"  "Debbe, you know I

don't like hugs."  "I don't care!  I want a hug!"  "Well, you're not getting

it from me."

Anyone looking at this exchange would think I'm very antisocial, and what's

the harm in a hug.  Hugs are positive things.  So I look like a jerk for

asking someone not to hug me.  So instead I usually just submit, grin and

bear it.  But Debbe KNOWS how I feel.  Hugs make me very uncomfortable.  We

have discussed it.  And this is not some special moment in our lives.  It's

a simple "good bye - see you next time" thing.  Why must I have to grit my

teeth and take it just because she wants it?  Hmmm? That's abuse of the

friendship.

So, the A or B I'm asking about refers to a casual, reasonably frequent

get-together of friends.

Just so you know - I gladly and warmly hugged my nephew when he got off the

plane last night.  But it has been over 6 months and he nearly died a couple

of times.  That is hug material.

Kitty