Re: Back to Chat....ginger

Turmeric? Really? I had to look it up, I never thought
about what kind of plant it comes from. Where did you
get the rhizome?
I've never grown any kind of ginger, always figured
they were tropical and I didn't need anything else to
bring into the greenhouse. But I feel like
experimenting with this just to see what it looks
like.

Cyndi

--- TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:

> I was disapointed in what I got.  It was a small
> ginger  plant...nothing
> ornamental.  Never amounted to much, but a bowl full
> of  green.  Bloom was okay,
> but I much prefer the ornamental types for foliage,
> growth habit and bloom.
> I ended up just composting the whole thing a couple
> years later.   Never did
> get a nice tuber that I could have used for culinary
> purposes  either.  Mom
> tried it too, with same results, although hers  is
> still growing.   Perhaps
> you'll have better luck.
> I've had a tumeric growing for a couple years now, I
> tend to like it a
> little better, although it needs a lot of water,
> which it didn't get much of  this
> year.
> Noreen
> zone 9
> Texas Gulf Coast

> Standard Time,
> gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:
>
> I have  some fresh ginger in the fridge, but I
> didn't
> try it. I might plant it  though, just to see what I
> get.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com