To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fwd: Squirrels and Other Wildlife

Cyndi, I can identify with your worry about the future of livestock and other wildlife in your area. Our county is one of the fastest growing in Tennessee because there is so much undeveloped land. People from cities have moved out here because they wanted to live in a rural area. The first thing that happened was complaints about the donkeys living in a pasture near their "McMansion." Then came the complaints about getting behind farm implements on the highway. Then they wanted more convenient shopping so here came Kroger, Walgreens and WalMart. Now part of our county looks just like the area the new residents left. Of course, all the wildlife that was there FIRST has been disenfranchised because these new homeowners do not want skunks, raccoons, possums or foxes anywhere near them because nobody wants to be inconvenienced. The next thing that is guaranteed to happen is some resident will be shot by a deer hunter who has "always hunted in these woods" although the woods now abut a housing development. People will never learn that we really are only a thread in the web. I try to educate the idiots who move near me as to the benefits of all the wildlife we have. It really does no good, however. People are so ignorant nowadays that I don't think they can be educated. I'm glad most everyone around here thinks I am a nut, and they leave me alone (unless, of course, their unspayed female cat has kittens). Do I sound cynical? :-)
zone 7
West TN