Re: Palms was Squirrels

We have somewhat similar behavior here, Cyndi--mostly developers. They buy a fairly large tract, clear out much of the native vegetation, re-plant it with exotic palms and more desirable natives, then let it sit for 5 or 6 years until they want to develop it. By then, the palms are worth a lot more and the amount of undesirable native vegetation is greatly diminished so they don't get in trouble with the eco-freaks when they plow the rest of it under.

Sounds like your multi-stem palms are Phoenix reticulata, the Senegal date palm. They're quite valuable when they get any size on them, but I think they're also quite iffy in below zone 9 areas.

Incidentally, there are two Washingtonia palms--the Mexican fan palm and the desert fan palm, both are native to your area, and to further confuse us all, they happily cross-fertilize each other, so hybrids abound. The desert fan, W. filifera, is a tad hardier than the more common Mexican fan, W. robusta. It also has a thicker trunk and is shorter than the Mexican fan at maturity.