hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Cat Question

Kitty, I wish we could all find an Uncle Hugh! When I asked my vet what had happened to altruism in vetianary medicine, he laughed. :-( Therefore, I do what I can afford. Because I really feel great about the skills of all the vets in that practice.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" <4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Cat Question

I have the best vet around here; Uncle Hugh is a calm, gentle, funny,
easy-going guy who just loves animals. He even has clients who drive 5
hours for his services for their cat because of what Pam mentioned. He
cleans all of my cats teeth at least once a year with no anesthetic, no
extra charge. He is famous for his extra-snug "kitty burrito"; I wish he
could teach me to do it right. He just rolls them up nice and snug in a big
towel and very rarely can a cat squirm out of it (I'm sure Sugar would give
him a run for his money though). And I am always in the room with my cats.

You say your vet TRIED to do a FL test but needs to sedate the cat? He
sounds incompetent or he doesn't want your business. This is a simple,
straight-forward procedure. I don't think you need a specialist, just a
vet who knows what he is doing and is comfortable with animals.

Zem mentioned some vets who want to test for all sorts of diseases. I think
what has happened in recent years is that, because cats have outdistanced
dogs now as favorite pets, more interest is being taken in their diseases
and consequently more tests and vaccines are available. Even so, many vets
do not test for anything beyond the required problems. I am thrilled that
my vet tested for Bartonelosis (Cat Scratch Fever) as 3 of my 5 cats had it,
were treated, and are now much better off for it. Very few vets will bother
with this. He stays on top of what's new, acquires new specialized medical
equipment each year, spends time with you (always with a joke), and is
understanding about what you need and what you can afford.

I hope you can find an Uncle Hugh.


----- Original Message ----- From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Cat Question

Chris, definitely time to look for a new vet. Sugar was feral and is NOT
good at the vet. I'm the only owner that comes in the exam rooms because
she is so hard to handle. But w/ me holding her and talking soothingly to
her, we manage to get through the exam and s-h-o-t-s. It's not easy, but
Dr. Lisa is very good w/ her even though she is very naughty. And for a
woman, she can jump real quick if a paw gets loose or she tries to bite.
The only thing they sedate her for is the teeth cleaning, but they sedate
all cats for that procedure.  As for a name, how about Oreo??  Keep us

On 12/16/05, Chris Petersen <chris@widom-assoc.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> We took in a six week old abandoned kitten about a month ago. The vet
> tried
> to do the feline leukemia test today, but told my son that he needs to
> sedate the kitten to draw the blood.  I guess he tried, but wasn't
> successful.  I think that the vet is getting wary of cats.  Last month
> "couldn't" vaccinate my older cat. I don't want to give my cats
> just for simple procedures.  He told Jaron that he might have to keep
> kitten over night! Time for a new vet?  What do you all think?
> Also, the kitten is black and white and needs a name.  My son wants to
> name
> him, but so far can't come up with any name that fits.  Any ideas?
> My husband doesn't want any more cats in the house. So far the kitten
> been living in Jaron's room. He needs to be isolated from the other > cats
> until he's tested anyway. We're hoping that the kitten will stay. > Jaron
> is
> 24 and "it" will be his cat.
> Chris Petersen
> Northport, Long Island, New York
> Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)
> chris@widom-assoc.com
> My garden: http://photos.yahoo.com/chrispnpt
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement