Re: Are you ready for the big day?

Oh, Auralie, I have that cookbook. Isn't it just the best!?
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Are you ready for the big day?

I'm always glad to share recipes. These are the ones that have
evolved as everyone's favorites.
The candy is an adaptation from River Road Recipes, a Baton Rouge
Junior League book copyrighted in 1959. I do add a few touches.

2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon light corn syrup (Karo)
1 package bitter-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (or more) finely chopped pecans
Melt butter over low heat in pan. Add sugar and stir until melted.
Add bourbon and syrup. Continue cooking over low heat until
syrup, dropped into cold water becomes brittle (320 degrees F)
Don't undercook. Remove freom heat. Pour onto large flat pan,
lined with aluminum foil. Tip pan around while syrup is still hot
to spread as thin and evenly as possible. It cools quickly. Melt
chocolate chips in oven or over hot water. Spread on crunch
while still rather hot. Sprinkle nuts over top and pat in. When
completely cooled, break into pieces. You may have to hide
this if it is intended for a special purpose.

The cookies are adapted from an ood Joy of Cooking recipe from
the 1953 edition. I don't think the current edition has it at all.

Melt in a saucepan
1 stick of butter
Stir into it until melted
2 cups brown sugar
Cool slightly and beat in well
2 eggs
1 tablespoon bourbon
Sift and add
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Stir until blended. Then add
1 cup or more broken walnuts
Pour the batter into a foil-lined pan, approximately 10"x12"
Top with a package of Nestles Butterscotch Morsels
Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 45
minutes.
When this comes out of the oven you will think it is a disaster.
It will not be set and you cannot cut it, but let it cool for a few
hours and then cut into squares

Enjoy!

In a message dated 12/20/2005 11:54:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,