Re: Dahlia imperialis

Yeah, the Bismarckia is my favorite palm. Native of Madagascar. It seems to be hardy to zone 9a. I now have four of them in the ground--all raised from seed. First one I planted in the shade, and it has really grown slowly. Next two, I planted in full sun a year later, and they like that a lot better--and they've grown twice as fast as the one in the shade and are now almost 6 feet tall. Squinty and I planted the fourth one last tuesday in full sun. It's only about 6 inches tall now, however. Getting the silver color as good as in that picture is something of a crap shoot; I happened to get very good seeds.