New plant

Local mom and pop nursery is going out of business after 40+ years. Property, which is on the main drag, has become so valuable that they can sell it and retire. I went by there today. They say they're taking their time about clearances because the property sale isn't final yet, but a new sign announces "30 percent off all cactus and succulents."

Like a lot of mom and pop nurseries, they have almost-hobby stuff they and their staff have grown from cuttings mingled in with stuff they have bought in. So it's a real hodge-podge. Anyway, on a back bench in an out-of-the-way area, I found a number of 1-gallon Solandra plants--I don't know which Solandra, there are several species in the trade--all primed to bloom. So I bought one with three flower buds; $4.00. The buds should open about the time Ms. Fatma returns from her trek around the Massachusetts tundra.

Don't know if you're familiar with the Solandras, but they are variously called "Cup of Gold" vine and "Chalice" vine. They have large, coffee mug size and shape [sans handle], goldish yellow flowers. They're vines the way bougainvilleas or climbing roses are vines--high maintenance because they're only marginally capable of climbing without assistance.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10