RE: Back Home! now Cathy's book and ph questions

And I will be your first customer! :)

Actually, there are not any plants 'just' for garden railroads. Also comes
into play is your zone, and everything else a gardener has to put up with
while browsing books and magazines.

Cathy you should spend the winter reading about bonsai plants... especially
the pruning/training of same. Start with naturally small leaf plants and
plan on pruning them to death to stay small.

Another issue is all the mountains and rock formations they want to add. Not
much room for roots at/just below the surface, so rock garden plants are
also a choice as long as they allowed drainage issues into those mountains.

Another killer of the garden railroads is the stones they use. Darn stuff
leaches out into the growing sections, so plan for it depending on what
stones Gary uses. John is using lime stone bases for the crushed ballasts.

This winter I plan on learning more about the ph of soils and what happens
when exposed to chemical changes from rocks over periods of time. Can I
nurse a plant thru the first year of ungodly ph swings? How long does this
nightmare last? Should plants that need that only be planted, then  3 years
down the line they all die since they are now not getting all that since the
rocks are no longer leaching it out? (HA! Probably no time, anyone here want
to give me a crash course or at least answer my current questions?)