heated floors

Jim, I suppose you can sit this one out ;+)
I'm thinking about redoing my family room (FR) next year. The FR is on a slab situated between the garage and Florida Room. The rest of the house is on a crawl, a few steps up from the FR. FR has a good quality berber carpet that looks like crap because it is a very high traffic area. I also have my 5 tiered light stand in the FR and have spilled water and brown natural liquid fertilizer on the carpet as well as hot choc when I stepped on the cat. I'm thinking tile.

However, being on a slab, tile would really make that room cold. A friend mentioned heated tile and I thought it sounded like the tile might have electric wiring in them. But today there was an article in the paper about warm water tubing under tile for heating. I've never seen heated tile advertised and I'm wondering how expensive a project this would be.

Do any of you have any heated-tile rooms?  Any thoughts to share?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5