Re: Crazy season

I suppose everyone is having the crazy weather to some degree, Auralie.
We had warm, wet fall that dropped directly into winter. One day it was in the high 60's the next morning it was freezing and stayed that way for over two weeks. Past week went back to temps in the high 50's and low to high 60's .... outside putting up Christmas decorations in my shirt sleeves. I got very little into the garden this fall. Made an attempt at my new raised bed several times, but weather or customers in the nursery ..... like all gardeners I look forward to next year when it will work out better for me and the garden. I do have cyclamen coum in bloom in the garden now. It has been in bloom for the past month. Snowdrops are coming into bloom.I need to check and see what species I transplanted, see if I can get a decent photo. I need to check on my Confederate jasmine see what is going on with it.... still in a container and have not found a permanent place in the garden for it. Ah.. almost forgot... Chinese witch-hazel is in full bloom... anyone else have blooms in the garden now?
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

Subject: [CHAT] Crazy season

Finally got my bulbs in today  - thanks to this crazy weather.  Because of
the
fiasco with the oil tank, followed by Chet's episode in the hospital, I had
not been
able to find time to plant the bulbs - or place to put them.  The ground
would have
been frozen by now in a normal year, but we have had only one hard freeze,
followed
by days of temperatures in the 30s-to-low 50s - not freezing, but rarely out
of the 40s
and drab, windy, overcast, generally nasty weather.  I find this kind of
weather is
terribly depressing - my seasonal affective disorder really kicks in.
Anyway, today
I finally got the last of the bulbs in, which wouldn't have worked in a
normal year. I
hope they don't suffer from the late start.
But what was surprising was that everywhere I found bulbs already up.
Daffodils
were showing a couple of inches, and in one place tulips were several inches
out
of the ground. Added to that, my Confederate Jessamine (Gelsemium
something-or-
other) is in full bloom.  I can remember one year in the late 70s when
forsythia was
blooming in December, but this is crazy.
Auralie