Re: Crazy season

I agree, my forsythia has already bloomed and finished. I have roses with new buds, and lots of new growth on most plants- and to top it off. It was 29 this morning. So, that should likely kill something or another. Think it's time to finally cut down the banana tree today.

Theresa

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
Finally got my bulbs in today - thanks to this crazy weather. Because of the fiasco with the oil tank, followed by Chet's episode in the hospital, I had not been able to find time to plant the bulbs - or place to put them. The ground would have been frozen by now in a normal year, but we have had only one hard freeze, followed by days of temperatures in the 30s-to-low 50s - not freezing, but rarely out of the 40s and drab, windy, overcast, generally nasty weather. I find this kind of weather is terribly depressing - my seasonal affective disorder really kicks in. Anyway, today I finally got the last of the bulbs in, which wouldn't have worked in a normal year. I
hope they don't suffer from the late start.
But what was surprising was that everywhere I found bulbs already up. Daffodils were showing a couple of inches, and in one place tulips were several inches out of the ground. Added to that, my Confederate Jessamine (Gelsemium something-or- other) is in full bloom. I can remember one year in the late 70s when forsythia was
blooming in December, but this is crazy.
Auralie