Re: Crazy season

Those kinds of experiences can be real shockers, Cyndi. My first billet out of boot camp was a river tender in Pittsburgh. I arrived in fall, which was quite nice. Then winter followed. This po' boy from LA was not prepared for the endless gloom, cold, snow, and--above all--dirt and soot. I felt like I'd been thrust into one of Dickens's potboilers. My wife of 6 months put up with it for about 3 months and went home to LA; I applied to every school USCG offered. I've heard Pittsburgh has been cleaned up since then. If so, great! But I doubt they've fixed the weather.

On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Some years ago I spent the first two weeks in December at a class held
in Illinois, not terribly far from St. Louis. For two weeks the sky was
unremittingly grey with occasional drizzles, and they all looked at me
puzzled when I asked if the sun ever came out. Talk about depressing. We
have our climate challenges here in the high desert but I try to
remember the good things, like sun in the winter. It is shining through
my window even as I type.
On the other hand, it's obligatory to gripe about the weather... I'm
peeved because it cleared up just in time for Monday, it was wet and
windy Saturday and not all that wonderful Sunday.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Andrea Hodges
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 3:31 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Crazy season

If I was still living up there the crazy in the subject line would be
referring to me. The gray was killing me! It's been beautiful here, the
camellias are all getting ready to put on a show (the sasanquas already
have, reminding me that I need to add some to the garden) and all of the bedding plants really brighten everything up. Of course there's also the
Christmas lights, many houses of which remind me of the
Griswold's.........