Re: Question for mail order folks

I'm with the others on that Chris, but it's all relative. I consider $ in relation to size and size in relation to plant. In the Cimi eg, WE know how diffiicult a small one can be, but do most of your customers coomprehend that? WE know they are slow growing in the early stages, but do the unexperienced know it? You should explain this in your text (course, doesn't mean they'll read and retain the info) WE might turn our nose up at Wayside, but obviously a lot of people don't. I'd take a 3 in from you over a gallon from Wayside, but most people wouldn't comprehend why.

To answer the qstn, I am not strictly interested in price, though it is important. However, you should explain what a person gets for the higher price. Not just the pot size. How about the age of the plant? I notice Gene bush and Ellen Hornig give age as a factor. You can't slam the competition in your writing but you might suggest that your plants are better than the same item found elsewhere because of ? factor.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 3:58 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Question for mail order folks

Hi everyone,

  I'm sorry that I've been so absent from the list lately.  I've been
  so swamped, burning the candle at both ends and sometimes in the
  middle too.

  And, as usual, I only came back to steal advice from all of you...

  I'm working out my ordering for next year's plants in the nursery,
  and some of them are pretty darned expensive.  For example, I can
  carry mature Cimicifuga ramosa 'Hillside Black Beauty' in gallon
  pots, but it cost me $13 wholesale (not including shipping).
  That means that I might sell it for $20 or $25.

  My question is whether or not you consider pot size when purchasing
  mailorder, or if you're strictly interested in price.  I see that
  Wayside has a 3" pot for $20 -- if you were shopping, would you
  buy one from me for $25 instead?

  Just taking an informal survey.  :)

  Thanks for any insights!

P.S.  They may still be worthwhile for farmer's markets or something too.