Re: Question for mail order folks

Chris-I definitely look at pot size, and think whoever does the pricing at Wayside is often HIGH on something when they are working. For a large plant, that cost $ 20-25 in a gallon pot it would totally depend on what the plant was and if I couldn't find it locally. If it is going to be somewhat pricey, then I would make sure in the description to tell people it is however many inches tall, and years old. If it will bloom this season, all that jazz. I know it's extra work, but I think it would be worth it. Many of Wayside's plants are in 2-3 inch pots and are insanely priced. Have you ever looked at the prices on their bamboo? $125!!!! for a gallon..... and you can find it ever so much cheaper at other nurseries. My friend and I were searching for black bamboo, which Wayside had at that price, and found another place that had a 3 gallon for $50. Unfortunately, this was after she had already purchased it in a fit of madness from Wayside. So, size does matter...........
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Question for mail order folks

I can't either, Kathy. At least not the peat pots. Paper isn't very different than plastic [maybe cheaper]. But peat pots drive me nuts even when automatically irrigated. I always end up tearing off the bottom of the pot to let the roots out. And some seeds, such as peppers, seem to germinate better in styrofoam cells than in peat pots--not sure why, except the drainage is better.