Re: Question for mail order folks

Well, Jim
I suppose we could both be "right". Of course there is plenty of assembly line production in the nursery world. That type of production excludes, to a great extent, many of the perennials that are slow or difficult .. mostly slow to come up to size in propagation. Time, is indeed, money in production. So, the industry is tending toward only the "easy ones" and often the same wholesalers offer the same plants so that no matter where you go... you find the same products. I make my living by trying to have an inventory that is not duplicated at every other garden center... mostly by offering the slow or hard to propagate plants, things that are new to the trade, and then narrowing that all down to shade plants.. all of which are perennial. It is a very small percentage of the overall pie that is interested in what I do here... but enough. There is room for both.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

Have to disagree, Gene. On the whole, container size does, indeed, say something about the plant--just as the number of beds in a hospital says something about the survival rate of operation patients. Not perfect, granted, but better than "trust me" guarantees.

And, to a great extent, plants are widgets. There is nothing mysterious about growing then from a start, a cutting, or a seed; some nurseries do it better than others; some can't do it at all from some kinds of material or some kinds of plants--it depends on a lot of things that are more science than hocus-pocus.