Re: What's This?

I don't suppose it would be of local interest, but I've seen reports on the national news shows. Just devastating. I feel so badly for folks in GA. But one recent feature discussed awful drought even in TN. We have dry times here occasionally but never anything that bad. As a gardener it must be very trying, but this is getting way worse than that, to the point of where your next drink of water will come from.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] What's This?

I had no idea it was that bad at all.  Nothing in
months has been broad-casted here locally.  Last time
they mentioned it was generally speaking about the
'south' needing rain.

In October I was in Vegas.  Since I don't gamble, some
of us went sight seeing.  I was amazed at how low Lake
Meade was and was told they were loosing a foot a day.
... but it is not anywhere as low as you are
describing.  Seems some of the states are arguing
about water rights in that area as well, which I found
interesting after taking the Hoover dam tour and
learning how the government had made those decisions
years ago....

Sounds like we need Rich to turn while doing that rain

where it is 'icing' - not raining not snowing, just
ice coming down.. yuck!  Supposed to continue thru
midnight and we have between 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on
everything already.

--- Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:

Surely you've heard of the great Atlanta drought!
It's the worst dry spell
since records have been kept. Lake Lanier, the
primary reservoir, is at its
lowest level since it began filling in the 50's. Our
city/county water
department's main intake channel is nearly dried up,
so they're spending
millions to dredge and extend the lines.  I was
across the channel a couple
of weeks ago, and the concrete block surround for
the pumps, which is
normally under water, was completely exposed. The
surround is about as tall
as a 1 storey house. Everything to the right of the
pump, up channel  was
dry ground, with grass growing around stranded

It doesn't help that the lake also has to support
navigation and endangered
mussels downstream, and that the Army Corps of
Engineers has really screwed
up its water releases. They've now reduced them
some, (after a lawsuit that
forced them to check with the Fish and Wildlife
folks who said, basically,
"no, of course the mussels don't need that much
water") but they're saying
it will take 4 years of "normal" rain to refill the
lake. Other, smaller
reservoirs are as bad off because they didn't have
the capacity. You can
walk across some of them.

We have a well that I'd been using for watering and
taking care of the
animals, but it only has about 20 minutes of water
in it at a time now.
We're lucky that the county ran waterlines through a
few years ago. I
remember in the Great Drought of the 80's that we
had to choose between
showering and clothes washing and Bill brought home
5 gallon carboys and
buckets of water. WE used wash water for flushing
and rinse water to wash
the next load. Still, we're required to reduce
county water use, and we were
already conserving through force of habit.

My business is non-existent. I haven't had a call
since stage 4 restrictions
hit.  Most landscapers, nurseries and such are going
belly-up or taking out
disaster loans. The lake businesses (marinas, bait
and tackle shops, fishing
guides, etc) are going out of business. The local
economy depends, in large
part on lake tourism, too. It's taken a huge hit.
Nobody wants to camp near
a mudhole, nor rent a boat that can't sail, nor walk
a dry beach. All their
restaurant and hotel and grocery and  Wal-mart
dollars go away, too.