Winter is here

Soon after we got up this morning at 5:00 it began to snow - not
hard but steady.  The temperature was 22 degrees when I first
looked, but had soon dropped to 18.  Since there was only
about half an inch, Chet had to be macho about it and say it
was no problem - we could certainly go to early church as
planned.  We didn't expect our road to be cleared - the town
doesn't recognize it so the neighborhood has to contract for
someone to do it.  We did expect the public roads to have
at least some sand, but nothing had been done at all.  Not
even on US 9 and 9A through Croton and Briarcliff.  There
were lots of cars out, and a couple of skidding accidents, but
we did make the 22 miles to church without any trouble.  Of
course there were only 2 other parishioners plus the rector, but
it was a nice, intimate service.
On the way home, 9 and 9A still had not had any attention,
but the town of Croton had sanded some of the roads.  Chet
pulled into a mall to post some letters, missed the letter slot,
insisted on getting out in the cramped space between the car
and the letter box to get down on his knees and scramble for
the letters in the snow under the car.  Stubborn old man.
The prediction is for "snow showers" and pretty cold the rest
of the week.  I guess that puts paid to this year's gardening.
I had intended to do some more clean-up, but got the important
things done before we left for Virginia.  Every year I tell myself
that it doesn't hurt to leave plants standing over the winter - it
helps the leaves and snow to mulch the garden.  Then, in the
spring, I wish I had not been so lazy the previous fall. So I guess
there's nothing new there.