It's December? Already?

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: It's December? Already?
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:10:53 -0800

Where does the year go anyway, wasn't it just summer? I got my first set
of seed catalogs, but it will be more like the old "wish book" this year
I'm afraid.
So we had our nice rain on Friday, I can see the dry garden appreciated
it, the penstemons in particular sort of perked up. I am not so sanguine
about my opuntia cactus, despite the new growth it put on during the
summer it isn't looking that happy now. Maybe it just isn't meant to
live where it freezes. This spring I will go knock on the door of the
guy at the end of our block, he has a nice spineless opuntia that seems
to do okay here, I'll beg a couple of pads from him.
Saturday was pretty much a waste. We drove out for a riding lesson but
when we got there it was too cold and windy. Then our waterbed sprang an
unfixable leak so we had to drain the thing, haul it out of the house,
and go buy a mattress - we decided to go back to a regular bed. Holy cow
mattresses have gotten expensive in the last twenty years! But we had to
do something...and in the end we could not get it delivered till Tuesday
so we had to scramble up some sleeping arrangements. Husband took the
couch but is annoyed because all four cats are trying to sleep on top of
Speaking of the cats our kittens had their operations last week and came
through fine. We kept them locked up for a couple days but let them out
Friday night, they are back to being their insane little selves now. We
keep nervously checking the incisions but there are no signs that the
activity is causing harm so I guess all is well.
I raked leaves Sunday but I lacked enthusiasm for chopping them up (they
were still damp anyway, good excuse) so I just filled up the green waste
can and called it done. It looks better for now even if I didn't get all
of them.  I had to go buy sheets and things for the new bed we haven't
got yet, very scary out there amongst the Christmas shoppers, I try to
avoid actual stores this time of year.
The big discussion today is whether or not it will rain this weekend.
The forecast says there's a good chance, but that's five days from now,
so we'll have to wait and see.  It's freezing regularly at night now,
very pretty the last couple days since the ground is damp, so you come
outside and everything is white.