OT- donating hair

I am curious if any of you have donated hair or know someone who has for the American Cancer Society?  What I would like to know is if you/they felt they gave it to a worthwhile organization and which one.

My hair is currently waist length.  Don't bother to ask why I haven't gotten around to cutting it off, but it seems to be growing like a weed.  I have an easy 11 inches I am planning on cutting off and no I don't dye my hair.
What I would like to do is donate my hair to the cancer society so they can make a wig for someone who needs it.  Of course my family thinks I am nuts, but that never stopped me before.
I realize that someone is going to make money on my donation, and as long as it is within the labor/materials to produce the wig I don't have a problem with that.  I do have a problem with me donating it to the wrong place and they getting rich on it.  My concept is a gift to help others that need it.
I wrote via the american cancer society web site but haven't heard back.  I know I need to give them more time, but now that I decided to do this, I want to get on with it.
Thanks for any help, feel free to contact me on or off list.